Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)
Electronic Arts
Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment
Vogster Entertainment
Square Enix
Activision
Capcom Entertainment
SEGA

Unreal Engine 3 has won 'Best Game Engine' three years straight.

All information gathered from Epic's website, http://www.epicgames.com

Around the Network

why would sce use unreal engine? i thought only soe would cause they are the only sony studio who doesnt make games exlusively for ps (meaning ps2, ps3, and psp). other than that good list, shows how important it might be to the industry this gen. lets hope that more studios start licensing engines to make it easy and affordable with some variety (i know engines can do what the devs want, but they still are similar in some ways).

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

The news bit on SCE:

Sony Computer Entertainment Enters into Strategic Licensing Agreement with Epic Games - July 21st, 2005

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced they have obtained sublicensing rights to Unreal Engine 3. Sony will provide an Unreal Engine 3 evaluation version with their PS3 Software Development Kit and frontline support for the engine. Sony's CTO is quoted as saying they believe that much "high quality content maximizing the power of PS3 will become available" as a result of this agreement.

what exactly does that mean? it has a lot of talk but not much to say.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

It means the PS3 dev kits that Sony distributed to developers came with a limited version of Unreal Engine 3. It's sort of like how when you buy a computer from Dell or Gateway, they have a Windows OS on them. The PS3 dev kits had evaluation versions of Unreal Engine 3.

Around the Network

Very good news for Sony devs, as it might help lower the costs. If Sony REALLY wanted to do alot, they'd buy an unlimited UE3 license, then GIVE it to those wanting to make a game on the PS3. It'd significantly cut the costs of developing on the PS3. The same statement goes for Nintendo and MS as well. Overall, its a step in the right direction.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

useless.

PS edge is their engine for 3rd party, unless it uses some of UR3s code ?

Edge is fairly new, just released this year. Dev kits for PS3 were being distributed in 2005, if I'm not mistaken.

Would using an engine like that work well with the wii though? I know next to nothing about things like this but it seems to me like they would have to do their own thing with the remote.

I believe Epic has stated that the Unreal Engine 3 would have to be modified to run on the Wii, and they had no plans to do it. Red Steel was running on a modified Unreal Engine 2. And, when you use an Engine, it's to ease development in certain areas (AI, physics, collision detection, etc). You can use tools in conjunction with others. They have specific tools out for the Wii that are meant to map movements and such to the wii-mote.